Opportunities in equity and wellness
Join the CIHR online discussion: systemic racism in Canada’s health research funding system
CIHR has launched an online discussion on the topic of systemic racism in Canada’s health research funding system.
CIHR will use the insight gained in the online discussion to inform the development of an action plan, or plans, to address systemic racism in the health research funding system.
The objectives of this online dialogue are to:
- Identify barriers for racialized and Indigenous communities within CIHR’s programs, policies and processes, and suggest ways for CIHR to address them;
- Provide a space for dialogue with CIHR on systemic racism within the health research ecosystem; and
- Inform the development of an action plan on anti-racism that addresses systemic barriers in CIHR’s funding system.
- The purpose of the online discussion is ultimately to identify specific measures that CIHR can implement to address barriers faced by racialized communities.
- CIHR specifically invites the engagement of racialized and Indigenous communities with lived experience of systemic racism in the health research sector although the online discussion will be open to all.
- CIHR acknowledges that it must listen to those communities most affected by systemic racism in the research funding system to better understand the ways in which our policies and programs may reinforce systemic barriers or biases and inequities, whether explicit or unconscious.
- CIHR is strongly committed to fostering a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive funding system and recognizes our responsibility — as Canada’s national health research funding agency — to push beyond expressions of commitment and to take actions that will result in tangible changes.
- Starting in spring 2021, CIHR will hold virtual small group listening sessions with racialized communities on systemic racism in the health research funding system that will build upon themes and suggestions from the online discussion.
- Following the engagement activities, CIHR will develop, implement and monitor an action plan, or plans, to address systemic racism in the health research funding system.
The forums cover:
- Research funding
- Application rates and proportion of funding
- Peer review
- Research design
- Institutional linkages
- Communication and Knowledge Translation
- Actions to prioritze
Online forum closes: April 7, 2021
Summary feedback shared: May, 2021
Virtual group sessions hosted: June, 2021